Monday, October 27, 2008

history of CARAGA

In the middle of my net surfing for our proposal, I bumped into our region’s site and found this article below.

Tuesday, 17 July 2007

HISTORY OF CARAGA

Many people wonder, “What does Caraga stand for?” or “What does it mean” It is the country’s newest region! Its history can be traced back to the 15th century when “Kalagans” were discovered by explorers. The Kalagans were believed to be of Visayan origin, in one of the three districts of Mindanao. The name was derived from two Visayan words: “kalag” for soul or people, and “An” for land. These people were believed to be brave and fearless, that early {croniclers called the region the “Land of the Brave and Fierce People” Kalagans were later called by the Spaniards as “ Caragans”, from which the word Caraga derived. They occupied the district composed of the provinces of Surigao, Northern part of Davao Oriental and the Eastern Misamis Oriental. The two Agusan provinces were then organized under the administrative jurisdiction of Surigao. Agusan became independent as a province in 1914. In 1960, Surigao was divided into Norte and Sur, and in June 1967, Agusan followed suit. Butuan then was a town of Agusan and it was only in 1950, by virtue of Republic Act 523, that the City Charter of Butuan was approved. On February 23, 1995, His excellency Fidel V. Ramos approved Republic Act 7901 creating Region 13, the Caraga Administrative Region.
It is composed of four provinces, three cities, seventy municipalities and 1,306 barangays. Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte and the cities of Butuan and Surigao were once part of Region X, Northern Mindanao, while Surigao del Sur and Bislig City was part of Region XI.
The Regional Field Health Office of Caraga was organized in July 5, 1995 pursuant to R.A. 7901 of February 23, 1995
Last Updated ( Tuesday, 24 July 2007 )


What a concise history of my dear region XIII, CARAGA region. Reminded me of my homework during my first year at ANHS during our Philippine History subject. For us to know kuno of what CARAGA stands for and not be ignorant of our region. We were even asked to draw the whole region marking the significant places such as the cities and municipalities, then a separate one for the Agusan del Norte alone because it is where we’re we belong. That day was Adlaw Hong Butuan! Classes were cancelled so happy were we then.

As far as I could remember, if my memory serves me right, the history and the drawing are separate assignments. The former was in our Science class then the latter was in our History class. I’m really confused. Any classmate around and help me remember it? Anyone from section I-Aristotle here?

Anyhow, indeed the assignment was collected the following day. Oh, yes classes were resumed and we even had oral recitation about it to check if we really read our homework. My drawing was fine, a clean one, though it was a pale output because I only used pencil and no color whatsoever because I’m no good when it comes to stuffs like that. The drawing itself was hard already. Pinaghirapan ko ‘yun.

A year or two before here in Iligan, Marion a classmate of mine, out of nowhere, raised the question in the above article perhaps thinking, just like so many others think especially those not coming from ours, that it’s just an acronym the same with NCR and CAR regions. Remembering that homework enabled me to answer and correct him right there and then. Thanks to our teachers for that assignment! It would have been a shame if I haven’t known. With that knowledge, Marion would sometimes tag me as the “isog na CARAGAnon.” And I would say, “Oh, yeah, so don’t dare go against me.” Haha…

Same goes to all of you out there! ;p Bitaw, peace y’all!

Let me know yours’. Malay natin mas kahadlukan pa mo kaysa sa amoa. ;)

Visit this website for other info of the said region.

No comments: